Thursday, January 03, 2008

Depression and cookies.

I recently read this amazing feature story by Megan Seling from The Stranger. Thanks for the link Michelle!

It touched me quite deeply. Ever since reading it I have had it in the back of my mind.

Depression is something that most of us deal with to varying levels. Turning to baking and cooking is a release for some of us. To give someone a gift of cookies, to see their faces light up at mini tartlets, to receive comments like "wow this is amazing how do you make this" or "can I have your recipe" is sometimes all that is needed to keep on trucking through your day. Sometimes it is simply easier to bake someone something than to tell them you love them - it requires less "giving of yourself".

Read this article - it is amazing: The Long Winter by Megan Seling.

"All about the time I attempted to bake 106 different kinds of Martha Stewart holiday cookies in two months. People laughed and said I was crazy. Well, I was crazy."

No comments: