Friday, February 09, 2007

People - now I am generalising pretty badly here - have lost a sense of community, politeness and giving. I do a lot of work with a couple of different community groups, mainly looking at women’s issues - this sort of thing is starting to drive me crazy.

Warning - I sound like a grumpy old woman in the following post.

Case One: People don't offer to billet anymore. When you are travelling to a small town or a place you are not sure of for a conference or whatever people used to billet you. I am going to a small town to deliver a key note address at a conference and I had to ask on of the organisers to sort out a billet for me rather than stay at a hotel. The main reason I did this was to save the event organisers - a small community group - money as they were paying all my costs to attend. I also do it to meet new people and I get to stay in wonderful homes as opposed to sterile hotel rooms. I am now staying with a lovely lady who said in an email to me - I have 2 spare bedrooms, of course you can use one. Hello - I just saved your organisation $200 in accommodation and, because I took it upon myself to call another speaker to car pool, another $200 in travel and fuel.

Case Two: People don't RSVP. It is POLITE to say the least. But it also allows you to better manage an event in terms of who is coming, mixture of people, catering etc.

Case Three: People don’t give up seats on public transport to elderly or pregnant women or mothers etc etc etc... Grrrrrr…..

Case Four: If you have excess – give to others, not just the poor or needy, but in general. I am excited because I am finally planting out my vegetable garden this weekend. I was talking at work to a group of women at morning tea and said – “it will be great, if I have extra I’ll bring them into work”. One of the women actually asked “why would you do that?” What??? Did I hear right??? What else am I going to do with the excess? Throw it out?

Case Five: I enjoy cooking, especially for others. People at work are constantly shocked when I bring in a batch of muffins, a cake or something to share for morning tea. I enjoy cooking people – eat, enjoy and stop giving me grief. Stop thinking there is an ulterior motive in it. I simply enjoy it.

Vent is now complete…

No comments: