Monday, December 29, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still...


Hmmm... Having been a fan of the 1951 movie I was intrigued by the remake. I recall watching the original many times as a kid and LOVING it. The original scared me - I was terrified of aliens and the messages stayed with me for years.

I know.... I shouldn't hope for much being a remake however... there was the hope...

In selecting the lead I know the casting agents thought... "Hmmm where to find an actor with no skills in emoting?". Keanu Reeves was perfect for the role of Klaatu as it did not require any form of emotion to be shown - well done Keanu, a completely wooden performance in every way.

Please don't bother to see this version - it is completely forgettable! At the end I was very much "Humph, well that was pretty average - not terrible, but very, very average". Go to the video store and rent the original. The concepts and the fear of aliens, cold war and atomic weapons are all so much better suited to the 1950's movie experience rather than the politically correct environmental message in the remake.

No comments: